Social anxiety (also known as social phobia) describes having significant misery in social situations. You are afraid of being judged, rejected or not measuring up.
Common Anxiety Provoking Social Situations
How Social Anxiety Works Against You
Day to Day Events and Activities
- You stopped going to the gym because of anxiety.
- You’ve stopped speaking on the phone. You are not returning calls.
- You are unhappy with your life. You are lonely yet you stay home and decline invites.
- You have few or no social relationships.
Career and Education
- Your career and education suffer.
- You have been unemployed for a few years but you dread going for interviews so you stay home.
- You don’t take classes because you might have to make presentations.
Some Symptoms of Social Anxiety
How Can Therapy Help?
Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) is effective in the treatment of social anxiety. CBT helps you recognize distorted, problematic thinking, fueling anxiety and avoidance behavior patterns. Exposure strategies along with CBT help you gradually overcome anxiety-provoking situations.
Additional strategies include mindfulness, relaxation techniques and exercise.
Medications are frequently combined with therapy. Your provider can work with you on what’s best for you.
Why Group Therapy helps with Social Anxiety
- You are not alone (group participants are also experiencing social anxiety)
- Learn through watching others
- Learn through helping others
- Easily practice facing fears in a safe, supportive environment
- There is accountability and encouragement when you are able to make your goals public
Adult Social Anxiety Group
When: Start Tuesday November 6, 2018 3:00 pm-4:00 pm
Where: Omaha Insomnia and Psychiatric Services
8901 Indian Hills Drive, Suite 350-B, Omaha, NE 68114
What: 60-minute weekly group for adults only. Limited to 8 adults.
Cost: $40 per group session, $350 for 10 sessions
Imagine any or all of the following
- You calmly say yes to plans to join your friends at a birthday party.
- You pleasantly have conversation with a stranger at the post office.
- You brush up your resume and complete a job application. Your first attempt in years.
- You take up salsa dancing without anxiety about embarrassing yourself.
- What’s social anxiety preventing you from?
It’s time to live your life. If you or your loved one’s struggle with social anxiety Schedule an appointment.
Jumoke Omojola LICSW is a Mental Health Therapist in Omaha, Nebraska where she assists adults overcome social anxiety and step into healthier, happier lives and nurturing relationships. She serves Bellevue, Ralston, LaVista and other surrounding Omaha and Council Bluff areas